World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945. The vast majority of the world’s countries—including all the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. World War 2 was one of the deadliest battle ever fought between countries and these facts prove it!
1. WWII began when Poland was invaded by Hitler on September 1, 1939.
2. France had more tanks, guns, and men than Germany in 1940
3. Over 100,000 Allied bomber crewmen were killed over Europe.
4. Polish Catholic midwife Stanisława Leszczyńska delivered 3,000 babies at the Auschwitz concentration camp during the Holocaust in occupied Poland.
5. The Nazis used “concentration camps” to hold millions of Jewish people where they would work and starve until they where “exterminated” in gas showers using a pesticide called Zyklon-B.
6. The Nazis killed approximately 12 million people, of which 6 million were Jews.
7. In World War II, British soldiers got a ration of three sheets of toilet paper a day. Americans got 22.
8. Hitler designed the Nazi flag. Red stood for the social idea of Nazism, white for nationalism, and the black swastika for the struggle of the Aryan man.
9. In 1941, more than 3 million cars were manufactured in the US. Only 139 more were made during the entire war.
10. Four of every five German soldiers killed in the war died on the Eastern Front.
11. Only 20% of the males born in the Soviet Union in 1923 survived the war.
12. Countries like Sweden, Switzerland, and Spain remain neutral and did not join either of the groups fighting the WW2.
13. Post the WW2, an offer was made by the United States to buy Greenland for $100,000,000 which was rejected by Denmark.
14. Only one out of every four men serving on U-boats survived.
15. Adolf Hitler’s nephew, William Hitler, served in the US Navy during World War II.
Let us know what do you think in the comment section below!